Thursday, May 1, 2008

Read Joe Olvera's hot new book Chicano - Sin Fin!


May 2008


Zapata 1910 Press is proud to present Joe Olvera's new book Chicano - Sin Fin! Memoirs of a Chicano Journalist (ISBN 978-0-9777992-9-9; May 2008; $17.95).
Buy the book at www.amazon.com and other online retailers. We will keep you informed of bookstores and other outlets that also will carry the book.
Educational institutions may order bulk copies through the publisher's wholesalers.
Read the book review by Ray Rojas in the El Paso Times, May 25, 2008.
Write the author at joeolverawrites@gmail.com

A schedule of Joe's future book signings and presentations will be posted here:
- June 14 (Saturday): Joe Olvera will lead a workshop for the Tumblewords Project and discuss his new book; 11:45 a.m. at Memorial Park Library, 3200 Copper Ave., in Central El Paso.
- June 28 (Saturday): Joe Olvera will present his book at the La Fe Cultural and Technology Center; 2 p.m. at 721 South Ochoa (rear) in South El Paso.









4 comments:

Malice said...

Dad, I'm SO excited for your book to come out. I've already told a zillion people about it. I'm so proud!

Anonymous said...

Joe, felicitaciones en la publicacion de su libro. Espero poder leerlo pronto. Como siempre, le deseo lo mejor en compañía de toda su familia.

Unknown said...

I remember when Joe Olvera and I walked into the El Paso Herald-Post newsroom.
We were hired a few weeks apart, 25
years ago.
Joe later told me that some of the older reporters refused to talk to him because he was a Chicano and proud of it.
We always seemed to get the assignments that nobody else wanted and once in a while, we had to do the translating for the "real" reporters (whites).
Along the way, they did their best to discourage us and make sure most of the newsroom opportunities passed us up.
Racism was alive back then even in a newsroom in El Paso, Tejas in 1982.
But my friend Joe's corazon and in-your-face philosopy rubbed off on me: "Mi importa madre, carnal. We know who we are, Ruly. Don't let them get to you."
As a working journalist in Califa much has changed and much still remains the same in this business. But the words of a very close friend, 25 years ago, are still etched in my heart.

It's been a wonderful and sometimes, rough ride. But I am still on the saddle, and most of my critics from long ago have left journalism.

Mil gracias, Carnal.

Que Dios te bendiga, and good luck with your book.


Ruly
newspaper reporter, Califa.

Susan Benesch said...

And I arrived in that El Paso Herald-Post newsroom as an ignorant baby - no real journalism experience, no Spanish, and as a New Yorker I didn't even really know how to drive. Was it you, Joe, who taught me how to put my VW bug into reverse, at last? You certainly taught me so many other things. With Joe's patient mentoring, I learned Spanish, and learned so much about people and how to listen to them and try to do them justice in print. Joe, you tried to teach me not to care too much what critics think (I'm still working on that one) and you did teach me how to inhale a good fragrant menudo late on Saturday night or early on Sunday morning. Even though I am now exiled in Washington, D.C., many years later, I remember you and El Paso so vividly, and can't WAIT to read the book. Felicidades, Joe!!